Mrs Linda Hudson – a supremely experienced and exceptionally skilled HLTA working 5 sessions per week within our classroom.
Mrs Shelley Mitchell – sharing her inspirational teaching expertise every Wednesday morning (currently focused upon Science and Reading Comprehension).
Mrs Storey – the main class teacher whose passion is for successful, motivational and enjoyable Year 5 and 6 teaching and learning.
Core subjects are combined with a wide range of opportunities to develop skills and knowledge across the subject range. As a team, we actively embrace all aspects of the 2014 National Curriculum for Years 5 and 6. Therefore our daily and weekly practice demonstrates
· Respect for the different needs of each and every pupil whilst best supporting each individual in making accelerated progress, particularly in core subjects.
· Enabling all pupils to achieve to their full potential. Here we develop resilience, confidence, knowledge, understanding and skills in all contexts including timed, pressurised and tested ones.
· Encouraging growth mind-sets in all our pupils. This maximises opportunities for all pupils to feel comfortable and willing to challenge themselves, take risks within their learning, make mistakes as part of this process, and flourish as a result.
· Bringing learning alive and making it enjoyable by offering a broad and balanced curriculum that sets out to integrate and link children’s learning across core and foundation subjects.
· Recognising the importance of enhancing personal and social skills, and developing wider school and community based responsibilities within this age group.
Above all, we work to ensure that all pupils finish year 6 as confident, motivated and successful learners with high levels of self-esteem and social skills, and who are ready for their transition to secondary and all other aspects of their futures.
The deliberate mix of ages provides an ideal opportunity for pupils to learn from one another by offering peer support, role modelling and challenge within an environment that invites enquiry, learning from mistakes and taking risks in all aspects of learning.
Homework in Year 5 and 6.
Each child receives 3 weekly pieces of homework: Guided Reading/Reading Comprehension, Maths and Spellings
During the summer term, PE will normally be on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. Please ensure that your child has full PE kit appropriate for the activity and weather. At the start of new modules, we welcome inputs from specialist coaches which may lead to slight changes in our weekly schedule. Any variations will be notified via Marvellous Me.
Aspirational Reading Targets
A range of texts is fully appropriate to support your child’s development- including newspapers, books, magazines, Kindles.
Please ask open questions about content and word choices – encourage use of PPE – point, evidence, explanation.
Years 5 and 6 – Curriculum Planning Spring 2019
Please click to open this link.
Important dates and Information
SATS week begins on May 13th and continues until Thursday 17th May.